MEXICAN WEDDING COOKIES
Mexican wedding cakes or cookies are one of Mexico’s famous baked goods..Here is my Noble version. I love them and this was one of my most shared recipes (289 times) on my Facebook page because they are so simple to make, comforting and a crowd pleaser. One of those recipes that can’t go wrong. You can adapt them and make them as you can see: vegan and gluten free also.
Feel free to swap the pecans for walnuts or almonds. You can experiment adding spices or orange or lemon zest as well. I would love to hear about your baking and how you like this recipe. Please share your ideas or questions in the comments (below recipe).
MEXICAN WEDDING COOKIES
Author: Vanessa Musi
- 200 gr European style unsalted butter such as Plugra, President, Kerry Gold or any grass fed butter (you can also use a vegan butter option)
- 100 gr Swerve Sweetener Confectioner’s Style Sugar (this is my healthy sweetener of choice, please read about it on the FAQ)
- 2 teaspoons/ 10 gr vanilla (you can also use a vanilla bean or vanilla powder / use 1 teaspoon or 1 vanilla bean scrape the seeds)
- 300 gr whole spelt flour (for the gluten free option use any good GF flour such as Bobs Red Mill 1:1 or gluten free flour of choice
- ¼ teaspoon/ 1 gr fine sea salt
- 130 gr finely chopped pecans/ you can process in a food processor or Thermomix (it should not be ground fine)
- To decorate: Swerve Sweetener Confectioner’s Style Sugar about 2 cups
- Line 2 half sheet baking pans with Silpats. Preheat oven to 340 F.
- In a Kitchen Aid mixer with a paddle attachment cream butter and sweetener with vanilla and salt until blended and soft.
- Add the pecans, flour and mix until combined and an even dough is formed. With your hands shape cookies into balls of aprox 10 -11 gr each.
- Place on baking tray leaving enough space. Note: cookies made with certain gf flours might spread a bit more.
- Bake until barely very lightly golden.
- Remove from oven, let cool completely. Put cookies onto a tray with paper towels, to drain excess fat.
- Put cookies on a bowl with Swerve Sweetener Confectioner’s Style Sugar and coat evenly.
- Store cookies in a cookie jar or cookie tin or plastic containers (I recycle my pre washed salad containers, these are excellent storage containers for baked goods).
[social_warfare buttons=”Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Total”]
OMG, these mexican wedding cookies look so delicious.
I was leary as I loved Mexican wedding cookies but since I’ve been Keto gave it up. These are so good, as close to the real thing. I’m hooked. I did use Lakanto sugars instead of the swerve but it still turned out amazing!
Hi Lisa! Wow thanks so much! I love reading messages like these! I am so happy to hear that! I love Lakanto! Did you use the powdered one or the classic? Happy Baking!